Sunday, January 10, 2016

Subitizing

   Subitizing is such a BIG word for my kindergarten friends, or I use to think so.  I am amazed every day by their ability to learn new vocabulary and concepts.  They use the word subitizing or will say "I just know it"!  Makes me so proud of them.
  
   Subitizing - "the ability to instantly see how many"

  We have worked on this all year (from 5 frames to subtraction now) and the more we move along the better at subitizing all of my friends have become.  I really began to see this during our addition unit and now even more during our subtraction unit!
    I am a firm believer that we as teachers MUST begin with all of the basic "building blocks" before we move into the more advanced concepts.  Five frames are a great place to begin!! 
We had such a wonderful time with a little subtraction "snowball fight" last week.  I was able to see how well my friends can subitize.
    (My sweet assistant got to get involved for one of our rounds!  The children  LOVED this!)
   I will be adding my subtraction unit soon on TPT.  As usual, I have to "try out" all of my activities before I complete a unit.  I have been refining this unit for 2 years now I am coming to an end with it.  I hate to give you activities that have not been tried out.  :) It will be a great unit!
Have a great week!
Please hop on over and join my new Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/beccaskindergartencreations/ 

and I have a new Instagram 
@Beccaskindergartencreations








No comments:

Post a Comment